Pronunciation: (in-skrip'shun), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/inscription.html on line 77 [key]
1. something inscribed.
2. a historical, religious, or other record cut, impressed, painted, or written on stone, brick, metal, or other hard surface.
3. a brief, usually informal dedication, as of a book or a work of art.
4. a note, as a dedication, that is written and signed by hand in a book.
5. the act of inscribing.
6. Pharm.the part of a prescription indicating the drugs and the amounts to be mixed.
a. an issue of securities or stocks.
b. a block of shares in a stock, as bought or sold by one person.
8. Also called legend. Numis.the lettering in the field of a coin, medal, etc.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.