Pronunciation: (in'stuns), [key]
—n., v., -stanced, -stanc•ing.
1. a case or occurrence of anything: fresh instances of oppression.
2. an example put forth in proof or illustration: to cite a few instances.
3. Law.the institution and prosecution of a case.
4. Archaic.urgency in speech or action.
5. Obs.an impelling motive.
6. at the instance of, at the urging or suggestion of: He applied for the assistantship at the instance of his professor.
7. for instance, as an example; for example: If you were to go to Italy, for instance, you would get a different perspective on our culture.
1. to cite as an instance or example.
2. to exemplify by an instance.
to cite an instance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.