Pronunciation: (in-tûr'pri-tiv), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/interpretive.html on line 73 [key]
1. serving to interpret; explanatory.
2. deduced by interpretation.
3. made because of interpretation: an interpretive distortion of language.
4. of or pertaining to those arts that require an intermediary, as a performer, for realization, as in music or theater.
5. offering interpretations, explanations, or guidance, as through lectures, brochures, or films: the museum's interpretive center.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.