Pronunciation: (in-vōk'), [key]
—v.t., -voked, -vok•ing.
1. to call for with earnest desire; make supplication or pray for: to invoke God's mercy.
2. to call on (a deity, Muse, etc.), as in prayer or supplication.
3. to declare to be binding or in effect: to invoke the law; to invoke a veto.
4. to appeal to, as for confirmation.
5. to petition or call on for help or aid.
6. to call forth or upon (a spirit) by incantation.
7. to cause, call forth, or bring about.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.