Pronunciation: ( jest), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/jest.html on line 75 [key]
1. a joke or witty remark; witticism.
2. a bantering remark; a piece of good-natured ridicule; taunt.
3. sport or fun: to speak half in jest, half in earnest.
4. the object of laughter, sport, or mockery; laughing-stock.
5. Obs.an exploit. Cf. gest.
1. to speak in a playful, humorous, or facetious way; joke.
2. to speak or act in mere sport, rather than in earnest; trifle (often fol. by with): Please don't jest with me.
3. to utter derisive speeches; gibe or scoff.
to deride or joke at; banter.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.