Pronunciation: (kā), [key]
—pl. K's or Ks, k's or ks.
1. the eleventh letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any sound represented by the letter K or k, as in bilk, kit, or sick.
3. something having the shape of a K.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter K or k.
5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter K or k.
3. the number 1000: The salary offered is $20K.
4. Music.See Köchel listing.
5. kindergarten: a K–12 boarding school.
6. Real Estate.kitchen.
1. the eleventh in order or in a series, or, when I is omitted, the tenth.
a. the number 1024 or 210: A binary 32K memory has 32,768 positions.
4. Baseball.strikeout; strikeouts.
1. Math.a vector on the z-axis, having length 1 unit.
2. See Boltzmann constant.
1. kip; kips.
3. kilogram; kilograms.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.