Pronunciation: (nob), [key]
—n., v., knobbed, knob•bing.
1. a projecting part, usually rounded, forming the handle of a door, drawer, or the like.
2. a rounded lump or protuberance on the surface or at the end of something, as a knot on a tree trunk.
3. Archit.an ornamental boss, as of carved work.
4. a rounded hill, mountain, or elevation on a ridge.
1. to produce a knob on.
2. to furnish with a knob.
3. (in stone cutting) to knock off (excess stone) preparatory to dressing; knobble; skiffle.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.