Pronunciation: (lôr'ē-it, lor'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/laureate.html on line 73 [key]
1. a person who has been honored for achieving distinction in a particular field or with a particular award: a Nobel laureate.
2. See poet laureate.
1. deserving or having special recognition for achievement, as for poetry (often used immediately after the noun that is modified): poet laureate; conjurer laureate.
2. having special distinction or recognition in a field: the laureate men of science.
3. crowned or decked with laurel as a mark of honor.
4. consisting of or resembling laurel, as a wreath or crown.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.