Pronunciation: (lē"ā-zôn', lē'u-zon", -zun or, often, lā'-; lē-ā'zun, -zon; Fr. lye-zôn'), [key]
—pl. -sonsPronunciation: (-zônz', -zonz", -zunz, -zonz; Fr. -zôn'). [key]
1. the contact or connection maintained by communications between units of the armed forces or of any other organization in order to ensure concerted action, cooperation, etc.
2. a person who initiates and maintains such a contact or connection.
3. an illicit sexual relationship.
4. Cookery.the process of thickening sauces, soups, etc., as by the addition of eggs, cream, butter, or flour.
5. Phonet.a speech-sound redistribution, occurring esp. in French, in which an otherwise silent final consonant is articulated as the initial sound of a following syllable that begins with a vowel or with a silent h, as the z- and n-sounds in Je suis un hommePronunciation: (zhu swē zœ nôm'). [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.