Pronunciation: (lil'ē), [key]
—n., pl. lil•ies,
1. any scaly-bulbed plant of the genus Lilium, having showy, funnel-shaped or bell-shaped flowers. Cf. lily family.
2. the flower or the bulb of such a plant.
3. any of various related or similar plants or their flowers, as the mariposa lily or the calla lily.
4. fleur-de-lis, esp. as the symbol of France.
5. Bowling.a split in which the five, seven, and ten pins remain standing.
6. gild the lily. See gild 1 (def. 4).
1. white as a lily: her lily hands.
2. delicately fair: a lily maiden.
3. pure; unsullied: the lily truth.
4. pale; fragile; weak.
Pronunciation: (lil'e), [key]
a female given name. Also,Lil'ly.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.