Pronunciation: (mān'tu-nuns), [key]
1. the act of maintaining.
2. the state of being maintained: the maintenance of friendly relations with England.
3. care or upkeep, as of machinery or property: With proper maintenance the car will last for many years.
4. means of upkeep, support, or subsistence; livelihood: to provide a comfortable maintenance.
5. alimony or child support.
6. Law.an officious meddling in a suit in which the meddler has no interest, by assisting either party with means to prosecute or defend it.
Pharm., Psychiatry.administered to sustain a desired physiological or mental condition: maintenance dose.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.