Pronunciation: (mu-tûr'ni-tē), [key]
1. the state of being a mother; motherhood.
2. motherly quality; motherliness.
3. a section of a hospital devoted to the care of women at childbirth and of their newborn infants.
1. of, pertaining to, or for the period in which a woman is pregnant or has just given birth to a child.
2. for mothers during and after childbirth or for the care of their newborn babies: a maternity hospital.
3. for wear by pregnant women: maternity clothes.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.