Pronunciation: (mak'sim), [key]
1. an expression of a general truth or principle, esp. an aphoristic or sententious one: the maxims of La Rochefoucauld.
2. a principle or rule of conduct.
Pronunciation: (mak'sim; for 4 also Fr. mak-sēm', Russ. mu-ksyēm'), [key]
1. Hiram Percy, 1869–1936, U.S. inventor.
2. his father,Sir Hiram Stevens, 1840–1916, English inventor, born in the U.S.: inventor of the Maxim gun.
3. Hudson, 1853–1927, U.S. inventor and explosives expert (brother of Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim).
4. a male given name, form of Maximilian.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.