Pronunciation: (mend), [key]
1. to make (something broken, worn, torn, or otherwise damaged) whole, sound, or usable by repairing: to mend old clothes; to mend a broken toy.
2. to remove or correct defects or errors in.
3. to set right; make better; improve: to mend matters.
1. to progress toward recovery, as a sick person.
2. (of broken bones) to grow back together; knit.
3. to improve, as conditions or affairs.
4. mend sail, Naut.to refurl sails that have been badly furled. Also,mend the furl.
1. the act of mending; repair or improvement.
2. a mended place.
3. on the mend,
a. recovering from an illness.
b. improving in general, as a state of affairs: The breach between father and son is on the mend.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.