Pronunciation: (mid'ling), [key]
1. medium, moderate, oraverage in size, quantity, or quality: The returns on such a large investment may be only middling.
2. mediocre; ordinary; commonplace; pedestrian: The restaurant's entrées are no better than middling.
3. Older Use.in fairly good health.
1. middlings, any of various products or commodities of intermediate quality, grade, size, etc., as the coarser particles of ground wheat mingled with bran.
2. Often, middlings. Also called mid'dling meat". Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S.salt pork or smoked side meat.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.