Pronunciation: (mī'nus), [key]
1. less by the subtraction of; decreased by: Ten minus six is four.
2. lacking or without: a book minus its title page.
1. involving or noting subtraction.
2. algebraically negative: a minus quantity.
3. less than; just below in quality: to get a C minus on a test.
4. Informal.having negative qualities or characteristics; inferior.
5. Mycol.(in heterothallic fungi) designating, in the absence of morphological differentiation, one of the two strains of mycelia that unite in the sexual process.
1. See minus sign.
2. a minus quantity.
3. a deficiency or loss.
4. Informal.a person or thing with no apparent abilities, usefulness, etc.: The last applicant was a definite minus.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.