Pronunciation: (mōn), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/moan.html on line 77 [key]
1. a prolonged, low, inarticulate sound uttered from or as if from physical or mental suffering.
2. any similar sound: the moan of the wind.
3. complaint or lamentation.
1. to utter moans, as of pain or grief.
2. (of the wind, sea, trees, etc.) to make any sound suggestive of such moans: The wind moaned through the trees.
1. to utter (something) inarticulately or pitifully, as if in lamentation: He moaned his response.
2. to lament or bemoan: to moan one's fate.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.