Pronunciation: (mud), [key]
—n., v., mud•ded, mud•ding.
1. wet, soft earth or earthy matter, as on the ground after rain, at the bottom of a pond, or along the banks of a river; mire.
2. Informal.scandalous or malicious assertions or information: The opposition threw a lot of mud at our candidate.
3. Slang.brewed coffee, esp. when strong or bitter.
4. a mixture of chemicals and other substances pumped into a drilling rig chiefly as a lubricant for the bit and shaft.
1. to cover, smear, or spatter with mud: to mud the walls of a hut.
2. to stir up the mud or sediment in: waders mudding the clear water.
to hide in or burrow into mud.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.