—v.nī'trāt), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/nitrate.html on line 77 [key]
—n., v., -trat•ed, -trat•ing.
1. Chem.a salt or ester of nitric acid, or any compound containing the univalent group –ONO2 or NO3.
2. fertilizer consisting of potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate.
3. cellulose nitrate, a substance used as a film base in the early days of filmmaking.
4. Informal.See nitrate film.
1. to treat with nitric acid or a nitrate.
2. to convert into a nitrate.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.