Pronunciation: (nou), [key]
1. at the present time or moment: You are now using a dictionary.
2. without further delay; immediately; at once: Either do it now or not at all.
3. at this time or juncture in some period under consideration or in some course of proceedings described: The case was now ready for the jury.
4. at the time or moment immediately past: I saw him just now on the street.
5. in these present times; nowadays: Now you rarely see horse-drawn carriages.
6. under the present or existing circumstances; as matters stand: I see now what you meant.
7. (used to introduce a statement or question): Now, you don't really mean that.
8. (used to strengthen a command, entreaty, or the like): Now stop that!
9. now and again, occasionally. Also,now and then.
10. now that, inasmuch as; since: Now that she is rich and famous, she is constantly being besieged by appeals for aid.
inasmuch as; since: Now you're here, why not stay for dinner?
the present time or moment: Up to now no one has volunteered.
up-to-the-minute; encompassing the latest ideas, fads, or fashions: the now look; the now generation.
1. See National Organization for Women.
2. Banking.negotiable order of withdrawal.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.