Pronunciation: (nut), [key]
—n., v., nut•ted, nut•ting.
1. a dry fruit consisting of an edible kernel or meat enclosed in a woody or leathery shell.
2. the kernel itself.
3. Bot.a hard, indehiscent, one-seeded fruit, as the chestnut or the acorn.
4. any of various devices or ornaments resembling a nut.
5. a block, usually of metal and generally square or hexagonal, perforated with a threaded hole so that it can be screwed down on a bolt to hold together objects through which the bolt passes.
6. Slang.the head.
a. a person who is very enthusiastic about something; buff; enthusiast; devotee: He's a real circus nut.
b. an extremely concerned or zealous person: My boss is a nut on double-checking everything.
a. a foolish, silly, or eccentric person.
b. Offensive.an insane person; psychotic.
9. Slang (vulgar). a testis.
a. the operating expenses, usually figured weekly, of a theatrical production or other commercial enterprise; a break-even point.
b. the total cost of producing a theatrical production or of forming and opening any new business venture.
11. Music.(in instruments of the violin family)
a. the ledge, as of ebony, at the upper end of the fingerboard, over which the strings pass.
b. the movable piece at the lower end of the bow, by means of which the hairs may be slackened or tightened.
12. Print.en (def. 2).
13. from soup to nuts. See soup (def. 6).
14. hard nut to crack,
a. a problem difficult to solve; a formidable undertaking.
b. a person difficult to know, understand, or convince. Also,tough nut to crack.
15. off one's nut, Slang.
a. Sometimes Offensive.foolish, silly, or insane.
b. confused; unreasonable.
c. mistaken or wrong: You're off your nut if you think such a plan can succeed.
to seek for or gather nuts: to go nutting in late autumn.
Pronunciation: (nOOt), [key]
—n. Egyptian Relig.
the goddess of the sky, sometimes shown as a cow bearing Ra on her back and the stars on her underside.
National Union of Teachers.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.