Pronunciation: (ōt), [key]
1. a cereal grass, Avena sativa, cultivated for its edible seed.
2. Usually, oats. (used with a sing. or pl. v.) the seed of this plant, used as a food for humans and animals.
3. any of several plants of the same genus, as the wild oat.
4. Archaic.a musical pipe made of an oat straw.
5. feel one's oats, Informal.
a. to feel frisky or lively.
b. to be aware of and use one's importance or power.
6. sow one's wild oats. See wild oat (def. 3).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.