Pronunciation: (u-fish'ul), [key]
a person appointed or elected to an office or charged with certain duties.
1. of or pertaining to an office or position of duty, trust, or authority: official powers.
2. authorized or issued authoritatively: an official report.
3. holding office.
4. appointed or authorized to act in a designated capacity: an official representative.
5. (of an activity or event) intended for the notice of the public and performed or held on behalf of officials or of an organization; formal: the official opening of a store.
6. Pharm.noting drugs or drug preparations that are recognized by and that conform to the standards of the United States Pharmacopeia or the National Formulary.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.