Pronunciation: (ou'tij), [key]
1. an interruption or failure in the supply of power, esp. electricity.
2. the period during which power is lost: a two-hour outage on the East Coast.
3. a stoppage in the functioning of a machine or mechanism due to a failure in the supply of power or electricity.
4. the quantity of goods lost or lacking from a shipment. Cf. innage (def. 1).
5. Aeron.the amount of fuel used during a flight. Cf. innage (def. 2).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.