Pronunciation: (ō"vur-dOO'), [key]
—v., -did, -done, -do•ing.
1. to do to excess; overindulge in: to overdo dieting.
2. to carry to excess or beyond the proper limit: He puts on so much charm that he overdoes it.
3. to overact (a part); exaggerate.
4. to overtax the strength of; fatigue; exhaust.
5. to cook too much or too long; overcook: Don't overdo the hamburgers.
to do too much; go to an extreme: Exercise is good but you mustn't overdo.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.