Pronunciation: (ō"vur-strīd'), [key]
—v.t., -strode, -strid•den, -strid•ing.
1. to surpass: to overstride one's competitors.
2. to stand or sit astride of; bestride: a great statue overstriding the entrance; to overstride a horse.
3. to tower over; dominate: He overstrides the committee with loud aggressiveness.
4. to stride or step over or across: At its narrowest point, one can easily overstride the stream.
5. to stride more rapidly than or beyond: a downward path where she easily overstrode her companion.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.