Pronunciation: (pan'u-mä", -mô"), [key]
1. a republic in S Central America. 1,900,000; 28,575 sq. mi. (74,010 sq. km).
2. Also called Panama City. a city in and the capital of Panama, at the Pacific end of the Panama Canal. 438,000.
3. Isthmus of. Formerly, Isthmus of Darien. an isthmus between North and South America.
4. Gulf of, the portion of the Pacific in the bend of the Isthmus of Panama.
5. (sometimes l.c.) See Panama hat. Also,Pa•na•máPronunciation: ( Sp. pä"nä-mä') [key] (for defs. 1, 2).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.