Pronunciation: (pā'shunt), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/patient.html on line 79 [key]
1. a person who is under medical care or treatment.
2. a person or thing that undergoes some action.
3. Archaic. a sufferer or victim.
1. bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like.
2. characterized by or expressing such a quality: a patient smile.
3. quietly and steadily persevering or diligent, esp. in detail or exactness: a patient worker.
4. undergoing the action of another (opposed to agent).
5. patient of,
a. having or showing the capacity for endurance: a man patient of distractions.
b. susceptible of: This statement is patient of criticism.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.