Pronunciation: (pi-kyOOl'yur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/peculiar.html on line 77 [key]
1. strange; queer; odd: peculiar happenings.
2. uncommon; unusual: the peculiar hobby of stuffing and mounting bats.
3. distinctive in nature or character from others.
4. belonging characteristically (usually fol. by to): an expression peculiar to Canadians.
5. belonging exclusively to some person, group, or thing: the peculiar properties of a drug.
6. Astron.designating a star or galaxy with special properties that deviates from others of its spectral type or galaxy class.
1. a property or privilege belonging exclusively or characteristically to a person.
2. Brit.a particular parish or church that is exempted from the jurisdiction of the ordinary or bishop in whose diocese it lies and is governed by another.
3. peculiars.Also called arbitraries. Brit. Print.special characters not generally included in standard type fonts, as phonetic symbols, mathematical symbols, etc.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.