Pronunciation: (pur-son"u-fi-kā'shun), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/personification.html on line 79 [key]
1. the attribution of a personal nature or character to inanimate objects or abstract notions, esp. as a rhetorical figure.
2. the representation of a thing or abstraction in the form of a person, as in art.
3. the person or thing embodying a quality or the like; an embodiment or incarnation: He is the personification of tact.
4. an imaginary person or creature conceived or figured to represent a thing or abstraction.
5. the act of personifying.
6. a character portrayal or representation in a dramatic or literary work.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.