Pronunciation: (pur-swā'zhun), [key]
1. the act of persuading or seeking to persuade.
2. the power of persuading; persuasive force.
3. the state or fact of being persuaded or convinced.
4. a deep conviction or belief.
5. a form or system of belief, esp. religious belief: the Quaker persuasion.
6. a sect, group, or faction holding or advocating a particular belief, idea, ideology, etc.: Several of the people present are of the socialist persuasion.
7. Facetious.kind or sort.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.