Pronunciation: (fil'ip), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/philip.html on line 133 [key]
1. one of the 12 apostles. Mark 3:18; John 1:43–48; 6:5–7.
2. one of the leaders of the Christian Hellenists in the early church in Jerusalem who afterwards became an evangelist and missionary. Acts 6; 8:26–40.
3. King (Metacomet), died 1676, North American Indian chief: sachem of the Wampanoag tribe 1662–76; leader of the Indians in King Philip's War.
4. Prince, Duke of Edinburgh, born 1921, consort of Elizabeth II.
5. a male given name: from a Greek word meaning “lover of horses.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.