Pronunciation: (prak'ti-kul), [key]
1. of or pertaining to practice or action: practical mathematics.
2. consisting of, involving, or resulting from practice or action: a practical application of a rule.
3. of, pertaining to, or concerned with ordinary activities, business, or work: practical affairs.
4. adapted or designed for actual use; useful: practical instructions.
5. engaged or experienced in actual practice or work: a practical politician.
6. inclined toward or fitted for actual work or useful activities: a practical person.
7. mindful of the results, usefulness, advantages or disadvantages, etc., of action or procedure.
8. matter-of-fact; prosaic.
9. being such in practice or effect; virtual: a practical certainty.
10. Theat.practicable (def. 3).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.