Pronunciation: (prāz), [key]
—n., v., praised, prais•ing.
1. the act of expressing approval or admiration; commendation; laudation.
2. the offering of grateful homage in words or song, as an act of worship: a hymn of praise to God.
3. the state of being approved or admired: The king lived in praise for many years.
4. Archaic.a ground for praise, or a merit.
5. sing someone's praises, to praise someone publicly and enthusiastically: He is always singing his wife's praises.
1. to express approval or admiration of; commend; extol.
2. to offer grateful homage to (God or a deity), as in words or song.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.