Pronunciation: (prep"u-rā'shun), [key]
1. a proceeding, measure, or provision by which one prepares for something: preparations for a journey.
2. any proceeding, experience, or the like considered as a mode of preparing for the future.
3. an act of preparing.
4. the state of being prepared.
5. something prepared, manufactured, or compounded: a special preparation for sunbathers.
6. a specimen, as an animal body, prepared for scientific examination, dissection, etc.
a. the preparing of a dissonance, by introducing the dissonant tone as a consonant tone in the preceding chord.
b. the tone so introduced.
8. New Testament.the day before the Sabbath or a feast day.
9. Brit.work done by students in preparation for class; homework.
10. the Preparation,the introductory prayers of the Mass or other divine service.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.