Pronunciation: (rā'dē-ō"), [key]
—n., pl. -di•os,
—adj., v., -di•oed, -di•o•ing.
1. wireless telegraphy or telephony: speeches broadcast by radio.
2. an apparatus for receiving or transmitting radio broadcasts.
3. a message transmitted by radio.
1. pertaining to, used in, or sent by radio.
2. pertaining to or employing radiations, as of electrical energy.
1. to transmit (a message, music, etc.) by radio.
2. to send a message to (a person) by radio.
to transmit a message, music, etc., by radio.
a combining form with the meanings “dealing with radiant energy” (radiometer), “employing or dealing with radio waves” (radioacoustics; radiolocation; radiotelephone), “emitting rays as a result of the breakup of atomic nuclei” (radioactive; radiocarbon), “characterized by, employing or dealing with such rays” (radiography; radiopaque; radiotherapy).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.