Pronunciation: (ri-lij'us), [key]
—adj., n., pl. -gious.
1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with religion: a religious holiday.
2. imbued with or exhibiting religion; pious; devout; godly: a religious man.
3. scrupulously faithful; conscientious: religious care.
4. pertaining to or connected with a monastic or religious order.
5. appropriate to religion or to sacred rites or observances.
1. a member of a religious order, congregation, etc.; a monk, friar, or nun.
2. the religious,devout or religious persons: Each year, thousands of the religious make pilgrimages to the shrine.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.