Pronunciation: (rōst), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/roast.html on line 73 [key]
1. to bake (meat or other food) uncovered, esp. in an oven.
2. to cook (meat or other food) by direct exposure to dry heat, as on a spit.
3. to brown, dry, or parch by exposure to heat, as coffee beans.
4. to cook or heat by embedding in hot coals, embers, etc.: to roast chestnuts.
5. to heat excessively: The summer sun has been roasting the entire countryside.
6. Metall.to heat (ore or the like) in air in order to oxidize it.
7. to warm at a hot fire: She roasted her hands over the fire.
8. Informal.to ridicule or criticize severely or mercilessly.
9. to honor with or subject to a roast: Friends roasted the star at a charity dinner.
1. to roast meat or other food.
2. to undergo the process of becoming roasted.
1. roasted meat or a piece of roasted meat, as a piece of beef or veal of a quantity and shape for slicing into more than one portion.
2. a piece of meat for roasting.
3. something that is roasted.
4. the act or process of roasting.
5. Informal.severe criticism.
6. a facetious ceremonial tribute, usually concluding a banquet, in which the guest of honor is both praised and good-naturedly insulted in a succession of speeches by friends and acquaintances.
7. an outdoor get-together, as a picnic or barbecue, at which food is roasted and eaten: a weenie roast.
roasted: roast beef.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.