Pronunciation: (rOOf, roof), [key]
—n., pl. roofs,
1. the external upper covering of a house or other building.
2. a frame for supporting this: an open-timbered roof.
3. the highest part or summit: The Himalayas are the roof of the world.
4. something that in form or position resembles the roof of a house, as the top of a car, the upper part of the mouth, etc.
5. a house.
6. Mining.the rock immediately above a horizontal mineral deposit.
7. go through the roof,
a. to increase beyond all expectations: Foreign travel may very well go through the roof next year.
b. Also,hit the roof, Informal.to lose one's temper; become extremely angry.
8. raise the roof, Informal.
a. to create a loud noise: The applause raised the roof.
b. to complain or protest noisily: He'll raise the roof when he sees that bill.
to provide or cover with a roof.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.