Pronunciation: (roi'ul), [key]
1. of or pertaining to a king, queen, or other sovereign: royal power; a royal palace.
2. descended from or related to a king or line of kings: a royal prince.
3. noting or having the rank of a king or queen.
4. established or chartered by or existing under the patronage of a sovereign: a royal society.
5. (cap.) serving or subject to a king, queen, or other sovereign.
6. proceeding from or performed by a sovereign: a royal warrant.
7. appropriate to or befitting a sovereign; magnificent; stately: royal splendor.
8. (usually cap.) Brit.in the service of the monarch or of the Commonwealth: Royal Marines; Royal Air Force.
9. fine; excellent: in royal spirits.
10. Informal.extreme or persistent; unmitigated: a royal nuisance; a royal pain.
1. Naut.a sail set on a royal mast. See diag. under ship.
2. Informal.a royal person; member of the royalty.
3. Usually, royals. Chiefly Brit.a member of England's royal family.
4. a size of printing paper, 20 × 25 in. (51 × 64 cm).
5. a size of writing paper, 19 × 24 in. (48 × 61 cm).
6. Numis.any of various former coins, as the real or ryal.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.