Pronunciation: (rOO'brik), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/rubric.html on line 73 [key]
1. a title, heading, direction, or the like, in a manuscript, book, statute, etc., written or printed in red or otherwise distinguished from the rest of the text.
2. a direction for the conduct of divine service or the administration of the sacraments, inserted in liturgical books.
3. any established mode of conduct or procedure; protocol.
4. an explanatory comment; gloss.
5. a class or category
6. Archaic.red ocher.
1. written, inscribed in, or marked with or as with red; rubrical.
2. Archaic.red; ruddy.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.