Pronunciation: (run'wā"), [key]
1. a way along which something runs.
2. a paved or cleared strip on which planes land and take off.
3. a similar strip on which cars, trucks, or the like may park, load, or enter the stream of traffic.
4. the beaten track or habitual path of deer or other wild animals.
5. a fairly large enclosure in which domestic animals may range about: a runway for dogs.
6. the bed of a stream.
7. Bowling.approach (def. 16b).
8. a narrow platform or ramp extending from a stage into the orchestra pit or into an aisle, as in a theater.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.