Pronunciation: (sab'uth), [key]
1. the seventh day of the week, Saturday, as the day of rest and religious observance among Jews and some Christians. Ex. 20:8–11.
2. the first day of the week, Sunday, similarly observed by most Christians in commemoration of the Resurrection of Christ.
3. any special day of prayer or rest resembling the Sabbath: Friday is the Muslim Sabbath.
4. (sometimes l.c.) a period of rest.
5. (sometimes l.c.) Demonology. Sabbat.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.