Pronunciation: (skant'ling), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/scantling.html on line 71 [key]
1. a timber of relatively slight width and thickness, as a stud or rafter in a house frame.
2. such timbers collectively.
3. the width and thickness of a timber.
4. the dimensions of a building stone.
a. a dressed timber or rolled metal member used as a framing member in a vessel.
b. the dimension, in cross section, of a framing member.
6. a small quantity or amount.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.