Pronunciation: (skat'ur-ing), [key]
1. distributed or occurring here and there at irregular intervals; scattered.
2. straggling, as an assemblage of parts.
3. (of votes) cast in small numbers for various candidates.
4. distributing, dispersing, or separating.
1. a small, scattered number or quantity.
2. Physics.the process in which a wave or beam of particles is diffused or deflected by collisions with particles of the medium that it traverses. Cf. elastic scattering, Rayleigh scattering.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.