Pronunciation: (sep"u-rā'shun), [key]
1. an act or instance of separating or the state of being separated.
2. a place, line, or point of parting.
3. a gap, hole, rent, or the like.
4. something that separates or divides.
a. cessation of conjugal cohabitation, as by mutual consent.
b. See judicial separation.
6. Aerospace.the time or act of releasing a burned-out stage of a rocket or missile from the remainder.
7. Photog.See separation negative.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.