Pronunciation: (sev'un-tē), [key]
—n., pl. -ties,
1. a cardinal number, 10 times 7.
2. a symbol for this number, as 70 or LXX.
3. a set of this many persons or things.
4. seventies,the numbers, years, degrees, or the like from 70 through 79, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or referring to degrees of temperature: They live in the Seventies. His uncle is in his early seventies. It was in the seventies yesterday.
5. the Seventy,the body of scholars who produced the Septuagint.
amounting to 70 in number.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.