Pronunciation: (shāk'doun"), [key]
1. extortion, as by blackmail or threats of violence.
2. a thorough search: a shakedown of prison cells to uncover hidden drugs.
3. a bed, as of straw or blankets, spread on the floor.
4. any makeshift bed.
5. the act or process of shaking down.
6. Also called shake'down cruise", shake'down flight". a cruise or flight intended to prepare a new vessel or aircraft for regular service by accustoming the crew to its features and peculiarities, breaking in and adjusting machinery, etc. Also,shake'-down".
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.