Pronunciation: (sil"OO-et'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/silhouette.html on line 73 [key]
—n., v., -et•ted, -et•ting.
1. a two-dimensional representation of the outline of an object, as a cutout or configurational drawing, uniformly filled in with black, esp. a black-paper, miniature cutout of the outlines of a famous person's face.
2. the outline or general shape of something: the slim silhouette of a skyscraper.
3. a dark image outlined against a lighter background.
1. to show in or as if in a silhouette.
2. Print.to remove the background details from (a halftone cut) so as to produce an outline effect.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.