Pronunciation: (skech), [key]
1. a simply or hastily executed drawing or painting, esp. a preliminary one, giving the essential features without the details.
2. a rough design, plan, or draft, as of a book.
3. a brief or hasty outline of facts, occurrences, etc.: a sketch of his life.
4. a short, usually descriptive, essay, history, or story.
5. a short play or slight dramatic performance, as one forming part of a vaudeville program.
1. to make a sketch of.
2. to set forth in a brief or general account: He sketched his own part in the affair.
3. Metall.(in a steel mill or the like) to mark (a piece) for cutting.
to make a sketch or sketches.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.